basic agriculture information

basic agriculture information
basic agriculture information

basic agriculture information
today we are visiting true garden it's a

vertical aeroponic food farm I was

really excited to go here because I

originally stumbled across true garden

and their farm on Instagram and it's so

cool-looking it's just a series of

columns that are covered in different

vegetables and fruits that are

completely fresh and I was mostly

interested to see what the biology of

growing food was like because vertical

farms grow food in a very different and

sustainable way

my name's Troy Albright I'm actually a

licensed pharmacist as I've done consult

on my patients I realize it starts with

the food they're putting in their body

Troy is a licensed pharmacist by trade

he went through school in the very

modern medical way of doing things and

through the process of having children

of his own with their own el misses and

conditions and also being overweight

himself he changed how he approached

food and what he put in his body and it

changed everything for him in his family

my parents and grandparents were farmers

in Minnesota and we had blacks well

they're here in Arizona the soil is like

this red clay stuff so if you don't

amend it and really work that soil you

don't get a lot of good quality produce

out of it so when I saw the tower garden

I can control the environment I control

the water I control the nutrients I love

this I can control every aspect of

growing my own food so how does this

whole process work basically the first

step is to put whatever sees you want

into the coconut core this grow medium

here is coco coir it's actually a

certified organic grow medium and it's a

byproduct of coconut husk and you throw

it put your seeds in there and then once

they're 1 to 2 inches tall like this

then we can come over here and and just

plant these right in here they fit right

in the in the pod you throw it in the

pump turns on every 3 to 15 minutes to

being on the program pumps the water and

the nutrient solution all the way up to

the top and then just using the long

view of physics what goes up comes down

right and it just rains down there's a

shower cap rains down and hits all these

spots

I find interesting is that you only need

that amount of soil like you and fishing

just miles and miles of dirt and soil to

grow plants right you only need that

okay yep very from every different plant

that you're drawing

nope just that small mount it's actually

not even soil it's coconut husk if we

use soil we'd have a lot more bugs we'd

have to use pesticides and herbicides

and fungicides I choose not to use any

of those here Organic is what that's

clean

yep just food yeah do you think that's

really happening today well by the way

you vegetables typically that are

transported into your state by law even

if they're organic are sprayed with

pesticides so that's not ideal the

problem is our soils are depleted there

the FDA has lots of studies showing that

when those leafy greens are cut and

travel what on average 1200 to 1500

miles to get to your plate yeah

pesticides are there 50 percent less

nutrients they've lost up to 50 percent

in some cases there's hardly any

nutritional value

[Music]

here look at some of this basil let's

grab a beautiful basil point you pull

this out look at those beautiful roots

on there I mean look at that that's

insane

this is 21 days old yeah the vegetables

that we saw at true garden were just

growing right there

there was no soil there was minimal

water it was really just their roots

hanging in these hollow tubes being

saturated in nutrients and substances

and growing to be the most beautiful

vegetables if we pull one out here it's

like a beautiful bouquet let's get one

out of here so you can see I mean the

Ritz and you got these beautiful rich I

know my bouquets gonna be for my wedding

oh my gosh it's so stop yeah isn't that

something

once you try a piece of that vegetables

have a much more vibrant and bolder and

fuller flavor then I think most of us

have experienced feel like it tastes

different than what I'm used like I feel

like most romaine lettuce tastes so

watered down right summer's over this is

even better Peter I don't feel like I've

ever tasted romaine that was this sweet

it's stronger it's more unique from

vegetable to vegetable because you're

not getting that dirt flavor a lot of

that comes from growing the fruit or

vegetable in this coconut husk and

feeding it with these nutrient

substances without any soil it's amazing

I don't know how I haven't eaten

was this fresh before and I feel like

everyone needs to like I buy expensive

freaking spinach at the store I'm all

organic everything I hold paycheck at

Whole Foods it happens but it doesn't

taste like this when they grow most

spinach in sand so a lot of times when

you crunch on spinach

you got like a grainy yep that's the

sand that they grow it in so you always

want to rinse it well and get rid of

that whatever the craziest things I

tried was the stevia leaf here try just

a piece of this okay

just a really small amount what is that

it's a natural plant sweetener I just

want to eat this as like an after-dinner

dessert and then I will never eat ice

cream again look I mean that's so sweet

isn't it yeah I have had the stevia

powder but never a stevia leaf oh that

is Stephen this is the actual stevia

plant here Wow you gonna use it in so

many things and it is so powerful I also

tried a mint chocolate herb and it

tasted just like mint chocolate so once

we have a sprout we put it in the tower

26 days later do you have that thing so

this whole thing was 26 days yes nice so

what happens is you get accelerated

growth because the roots can get a lot

of oxygen since there's no soil there's

no weeds which is amazing because puling

weeds

is literally the worst weekend activity

ever vertical farming it's just your

head of lettuce or your kale or your

spinach or your berries or your tomatoes

no bucks no weeds what is the actual

benefit of having a vertical farm versus

having a normal farm that were using a

big part of it is with the vertical farm

we're really saving on space we can use

ninety percent less land but we can grow

ninety percent more food when you go

Brook like this this is one tenth of an

acre we can grow 10 times more food as a

result of going vertical plus our

resources we use 90 to 98 percent less

water that's huge I mean what 3 percent

of the water in the in the world is

fresh water so it's not just a commodity

here in the United States but all over

the world having fresh

so we got to really conserve our

resources and if we don't we're setting

ourselves up for major catastrophe how

many people do you think you could feed

like just out of this space out of this

space we could easily speed gosh 100

families on a weekly basis Wow as we all

know our world is changing the land

available to us is changing the quality

soil that we have on our earth is

changing and this may be the most

sustainable way to feed our communities

moving forward if someone watch this

video and wanted to start gardening

tomorrow or today what would be like

your top three tips grow the things you

love to eat keep it simple

use clean water use good quality

seedlings

we've got residential models as well as

commercial farms so the residential

model is about five or six feet tall

just like you are and when the two

towers could easily feed a family of

four depend on what you're growing

you're gonna be exposed to less

chemicals you'll love it you'll really

love it I was a skeptic I absolutely

thought the biology of this food must be

different if we're not making it with

soil and the same amount of water and

the same amount of sunlight as the

vegetables and fruits were used to but

the matter of the fact is it's better

it's got more nutrients more minerals

it's more dense in the rich vitamins

that your body needs and it's just more

environmentally friendly you know as a

compounding pharmacist I do consults

then I got into this because I really

saw not just my own kids but my own

patients that were missed in the food

part they were missing that nutrition

part and as I corrected nutrition in

them I'm like oh my this changed their

whole life you were taught in pharmacy

school just give a drug give a drug give

a drug drugs are just band-aids they

don't cure us if if you don't have good

nutrition that foundation that we're

building our body on isn't there and so

that leads to all sorts of things you

know depression leaky gut your gum

disease people that are constantly

having headaches and they're not growing

properly our kids don't grow properly

because of nutrition so starts with good

foundation if you have a good good

foundation with nutrition eat it what

you

grow or buy it locally you're gonna be

way healthier so crazy how your diet can

affect pretty much everything it's hard

to put into a sentence how cool and

interesting I thought this whole

experience was I've always been a firm

believer in what you put in your body

matters and the food you put in your

body matters and we are allowing food

industries to spray it with pesticides

to transport it super far change its

enzymes and nutritional benefits so that

when we're receiving the food it's not

even giving us the fuel that we need to

survive in a healthy way the body is an

incredible piece of equipment machinery

you put good stuff in it gets good stuff

out you put bad stuff in in time bad

stuff would come out but you can't

correct it it just takes some some

effort on our part to do what's right

who said that Hippocrates you are what

you eat but food be medicine what

medicine be food he said a lot more

eloquently but you know I firmly believe

that true Garden was quite possibly one

of the most beautiful things I've ever

seen

it was pristine it was green not fake

green not sprayed on green it was

beautiful

vibrant green and the oxygen in that

greenhouse I would like to one day live

in a greenhouse with that pure oxygen

I'm really grateful for the opportunity

to learn about my health to learn about

my food and also to share the

information with you guys in hopes that

it may be changes one thing you don't

have to change everything overnight do

one thing that will make you better

tomorrow than you are today

thank you guys so much for watching it

was one of my favorite videos to make

and share with you all if you care about

health and wellness I want to learn more

you should definitely watch our tutorial

on how to make natural cleaning supplies

because what you spray around in the air

around you matters too

Newer Post
Previous
This is the last post.

Post a Comment

[blogger]

MKRdezign

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.
Javascript DisablePlease Enable Javascript To See All Widget